Why this recipe is GERD-friendly and gluten-free:
The combination of yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit is a high-protein, satisfying morning option. Keeping the serving size on the smaller side is a good option for those with GERD, as larger portions can exacerbate symptoms. Fruit is a great source of fiber which will aid with digestion, and using low-sugar yogurt will ensure that it remains GERD-friendly.
Keep in Mind:
Berries are an acidic food and should be consumed in moderation. GERD triggers can vary from person to person, so pay attention to how your body reacts to different ingredients. You can adjust this recipe based on your personal preferences and sensitivities.
This recipe serves one. Double, triple or quadruple to share with the whole family. For some added fiber and omega 3 and omega 6, try adding a sprinkle of milled flax seed on top.
- 1 cup plain, low-fat yogurt (without added sugar, gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup granola (choose a low-fat, low-sugar variety)
- 1/2 cup fresh berries (e.g., strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1 small ripe banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional, for a touch of sweetness)
- Start with a glass or a bowl that's not too large, as smaller portions are easier on the stomach.
- Begin by spooning a layer of plain, low-fat yogurt into the bottom of your glass or bowl.
- Add a layer of sliced bananas on top of the yogurt. Bananas are typically well-tolerated by people with GERD.
- Sprinkle a portion of your chosen low-fat, low-sugar granola on top of the banana layer. Be sure to read the label to check for any high-fat or high-sugar ingredients, as these can exacerbate GERD symptoms.
- Add a layer of fresh berries over the granola. Berries are usually a safe choice for GERD sufferers, but be mindful of your individual triggers.
- If you'd like to add a touch of sweetness, drizzle a small amount of honey over the berries. Be cautious with honey, as it can be a GERD trigger for some individuals. You can omit this step if you're unsure about its impact on your symptoms.
- Repeat the layers until your glass or bowl is filled, ending with a final layer of berries on top.
- Enjoy your yogurt parfait immediately or refrigerate for a refreshing, heartburn-friendly treat.